Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Blog Your Heart Out

I was nominated by my friend and fellow gluten free blogger Casey for the Blog Your Heart Out chain letter  (Thanks Casey!!).  I am going to answer a few questions where I talk more about the girl behind my blog and the inspiration behind why I started my blog in the first place.  After answering these questions, I will pass on the torch to five of my favorite bloggers.  So, let's get to know more about Allie, aka, the gluten free Bennie (my school mascot).


1.  Who/What encouraged you to start blogging?


The amazing gluten free community and bloggers are the people who truly encouraged me to start blogging.  When I went gluten free a few months before I started college, I felt so lost and confused, and many of the blogs about being gluten free in college gave me hope that I would actually be able to survive.  After reading so many amazing blogs, I wanted to give back to the community and reach out to other gluten free college students.  I also started blogging because I love to write, and it is a great stress relief.  I have not always been the best cook, but after going gluten free, I started trying out more and more recipes, and now I love baking and cooking!  Although I do not post many recipes, it is a goal of mine to create more recipes in the future.  I can't believe that I have already been gluten free for two years and have been blogging for over a year.  Time truly flies!



2.  How did you choose what to blog about?


I usually blog about whatever comes to mind first.  I have an ongoing list on my phone with blog ideas, which vary frequently.  I tend to focus my posts around tips for gluten free college students, updates about my own gluten free finds and adventures (including study abroad adventures!), and I occasionally create new gluten free recipes.  



3.  What is something most people don't know about you?


I love photography!  This has been a recent hobby of mine over the past few years.  I love being outdoors and taking pictures of nature, in addition to food, of course.  There is something about photography that makes me feel so relaxed and carefree.  



I love taking picture of my school!
  

4. What are three words that describe your style/blog?


Personal:  I always write from my heart, and I want my readers to be able to see what life is truly like as a gluten free college student.


Positive:  As many of you know, being gluten free is not always easy or fun, but staying positive definitely helps! I admit that I can be downright negative some days, but then I look at the big picture and think of all of the blessings in my life.  Positivity is definitely one of the best forms of medicine! 


Creative:  I try to make my blog as creative as possible because reading a boring post is no fun!  I am a creative person myself, so that usually is reflected throughout my blog.



5.  What do you love to do when you are not blogging?


A lot of things!  When I am not busy with class or work, I love being active.  This includes running, nordic skiing, biking, walking my dogs, and more.  When I need a break from running around, I love reading other blogs, spending time with family and friends, embarking on gluten free adventures, experimenting in the kitchen, playing the piano, and taking pictures.  I also love traveling! I am a going to become a high school Spanish teacher after I graduate in two years from now, so I have had wonderful opportunities to study abroad.  I am even more thrilled to live in Guatemala for the Spring 2015 semester!



Spain, 2013!


And now for the fun part!  It was so hard for me to choose just five bloggers because I love and follow so many amazing blogs, but here are the bloggers I would like to nominate:

Candice from Embrace Gfree

Colie from The Curse of Gluten



Amanda from Eating Out…Without!


Again, thanks to Casey for the nomination.  I hope you five have fun writing a post answering the same questions or by commenting below! 





2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I actually wasn't diagnosed with celiac disease until my last year of college, but I definitely relate to a lot of your posts still. :)

    P.S: The pictures of your school are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much, Kaila!! It is great being able to relate to others about being gluten free in college because it can be a difficult transition. Your kind comment means a lot! I absolutely LOVE my school and taking pics of it, as you can tell!

    ReplyDelete