Friday, May 9, 2014

A Month of Change

May is one of my favorite months.  With the school year winding down, the anticipation of summer is right around the corner! Minnesotans finally come out of their winter hibernation, the grass starts to turn green, and for once, we can sleep with the windows open.  I love being seeing the flowers start to bud and grow, as if they are starting fresh their short 5 month lives.  If I am going to be all metaphorical, I would say that May is a month filled with change and growth, just as the flowers would agree.  This May marks the halfway mark of my college career.  May is the month I went to Spain and had the adventure of a lifetime.  May is the month I went gluten free.  Most importantly, May is Celiac awareness month!!  An entire month dedicated to awareness, change, positivity, happiness and green everything. And yes, the grass is even green this May!    

April showers bring May flowers and beautiful green grass!

How am I planning to spread Celiac awareness during this special month? To be honest, I have not fully thought about all of my ideas.  I admit that I have been MIA lately as a result of being buried in paper writing, exam grading, and studying.  Finals is right around the corner, but in 5 days I will be able to breath a huge sigh of relief!  Because I am so busy, I have been thinking about more of the little things I can do to spread awareness, such as:
  • Talking to the dietician about adding new gluten free foods to the cafeteria.
  • Wearing my glutenlibre shirt.  This is one of my favorite shirts, and it fits me so well as a Spanish major.  Kathy and Brian, you would be happy to hear about all of the conversations that your awesome shirt has started!
  • Wearing my GFAF Expo hat that I got in Chicago.  This has also been a great way to start conversations. 
  • Joining the #positiveceliac twitter campaign started by Taylor at GlutenAway.
  • Talking to other gluten free students on campus.  For example, I gave a fellow student resources for her research paper about how colleges are accommodating gluten free students.
Of course, May is not the only month we should dedicate to spreading Celiac awareness, rather, it is a month to celebrate and embrace our differability.  We are not diseased or disabled, we are able to live and thrive because we are healthier than before going gluten free.  May is a month to embrace change, even if it means starting with small changes.  A change to become more positive.  A change to become proud of your gluten free lifestyle.  A change to count the blessings in your life.  A change to smile, even when you are not having the best day.  A change to eat gluten free double fudge cake without feeling guilty.  A change to stop dwelling on the past and future, but to live in the present.  I could go on forever, but I think you get the picture.  Embrace change.  Like going gluten free, it may not always be easy, but it may just be a blessing in disguise.  



2 comments:

  1. Great post. Good luck on finals and wrapping up sophomore year. Keep spreading the #gfreepositivity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Candice! It really means a lot to me. I can not believe I am almost halfway done with college. Good look on your final days at Scranton, and have a blast at graduation! You deserve it, girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete